Smoked Salmon Lollipops with Bagel Dust – Vegetarian
Makes 10 pieces – can be doubled
- 10 oz smoked salmon
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp scallions sliced thinly on the bias
- 1 tsp capers
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 plain bagel
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 10 6″ lollipop sticks or wooden picks (lots of variations available at www.PickonUs.com)
- Combine 6 oz of smoked salmon, cream cheese, scallions, capers, and lemon juice in a stand mixer with a paddle and mix until ingredients are combined. Refrigerate until firm.
- Remove mixture from refrigerator and roll into 10 balls. Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and put back into the refrigerator to firm up, approximately 4 hours.
- Cut the remaining 4 oz of salmon into 10 julienne strips and wrap around each of the cream cheese-salmon balls.
- Cut the bagel into thin, paper like pieces. Place the slices on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 325° until dried, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Once the bagel slices are cool, pulse them in a food processor until they look like sand or dust, a few small pebble sized pieces are ok. Transfer to a bowl and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Push lollipop sticks into smoked salmon balls. Roll in bagel crumbs, using enough pressure to make sure that the bagel “dust” sticks to the salmon balls and serve.
Southwest Style Flavor – Omit the salmon and capers. Add several tablespoons of salsa along with 6 oz of cooked chicken to the cream cheese mixture then dust with fajita seasoning.
For Cheese Lovers – Omit the salmon and capers. Mix in 6 oz blue cheese and 2 tbsp. snipped chives into the cream cheese base, and roll in chopped crisp bacon.
These can be made up to two days in advance. Be sure to cover well with plastic wrap and roll in the “dust” just prior to serving so it stays crunchy.
Fire It Up!