Ten minutes to loosen up and enjoy the holiday season even more.
We all get tense around the holidays and for those who spend hours every day sitting or standing or long periods driving, the discomfort and pain can add up and can cause some significant problems. Getting into the habit of stretching every day, giving yourself a couple breaks every few hours, is a great step in alleviating your pain and even preventing it. If you try these easy stretches, as seen on The Huffington Post, for 30 to 60 seconds each, three times over, it would only take you about 10 minutes total. Pretty easy solution!
Lunge With Chest Expansion
1. Step right foot forward and left foot back. Deeply bend front knee so it comes directly above the ankle. Clasp your hands behind your back and lift your chest.
2. Slowly fall forward over your right thigh, keeping your hands clasped behind your back. Maintain a neutral spine by keeping your gaze down toward the floor. Draw shoulder blades together and keep core engaged the entire time.
3. Hold position for 30 seconds to one minute on each side.
Straddle with Shoulder Opener
1. Stand with feet wider than hip-width. Deeply bend both knees and shift your hips back. Place hands on your thighs with fingers pointed inward.
2. Drop right shoulder to the midline of your body pressing into your thigh for leverage. Come back to center and drop left shoulder to the midline of your body. Maintain a strong core and keep glutes engaged the entire time for additional support.
3. Continue to alternate for 30 seconds to one minute.
1. Stand with feet wider than hip-width. Turn right toes out and left toes inward. Extend arms up to shoulder height.
2. Begin to shift torso forward over right leg until torso is parallel with the ground. Place hand above or below your knee. Extend left arm up toward the sky.
3. Hold for 30 seconds to one minute each side.
* You can always gaze at the floor to release all tension in the neck.
This information in this article is not intended as medical advice. Be sure to consult a professional for individual counseling.