Show your appreciation for you own dog…and all others too.
Every dog has its day and today is it – literally: Every August 26th is National Dog Day and whether or not you own a pup, there are many ways to show your appreciation for all the wonderful things dogs do for people. As you know, Pazoo’s mission is to promote the well-being of people and their pets – because the two-way street of love and care provides health and wellness benefits for both.
According to the organization that founded the annual event in 2004, “National Dog Day serves to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year, and acknowledges family dogs and dogs that work selflessly each day to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort. Dogs put their lives on the line every day – for their law enforcement partner, for their blind companion, for a child who is disabled, for our freedom and safety by detecting bombs and drugs and pulling victims of tragedy from wreckage.
“National Dog Day is against any kind of “breed ban.” Dogs should not have to lose their lives because of the atrocities they have been forced to endure at the hands of man. And while we feel that American’s have the constitutional right to purchase a pure breed dog, we strongly discourage buying dogs from pet stores supplied by puppy mills, backyard breeders, the internet and newspaper ads. Rather, we encourage those seeking new canine companions, to consider choosing adoption first and if you’d like a pure breed dog, look into a pure breed rescue to see if they might have just the dog you’re looking for.”
Here are 20 suggestions from the National Dog Day website for celebrating this meaningful event:
1. Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
2. Have a safety check of your home to make sure it’s safe for your dog and others.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
5. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
6. Order an adorable dog shaped flower arrangement from 1-800-Flowers.com and enjoy a 10% discount by using code GOODLIVING when placing your order.
7. Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs.
8. Spend the day taking photos of your dog and then enter our photo contest.
9. Buy an official National Dog Day Tee here and sport it proudly.
10. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
11. Have a portrait painted of your dog to suspend the fleeting magic of dogdom.
12. Buy your dog a fun new dog toy….or two…or five.
13. Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
15. Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
16. Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
17. Teach your dog a new trick.
18. Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash.
19. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
20. Take your dog to the beach.
Have a great dog day!